Day 19: Lake Champlain, Vermont

We crossed the border late on the 29th of July. Our border crossing was uneventful except for the inquisitive questions of the Homeland Security agent. She started out with all the normal questions like: Where are you from, where have you been in Canada, who did you stay with and where are you going. In answering her questions, we told her that we were on a road trip around America for the next 2 months. When she asked who owned the car, we told her it was a rental. This prompted her to ask were we worked and how we got the time off from work. When we told her that we were both currently unemployed, she asked… “How then are you financing this trip?” I told her that we were trafficking BC Bud (a.k.a. Marijuana) from Canada. The rest is history. I thought it was a little inappropriate for her to ask us how we were paying for the trip, but none the less I answered her question politely.


We spent that night camping on Lake Champlain in Vermont underneath the bright starry night sky. Mark got some good night shots playing around with his camera.


--Red

If you look at the enlarged photo, you can see the sky spinning around the North star in the center.  The Big Dipper is in the lower left of the photo.

Lake Champlain the next morning

3 comments:

Jessie said...

i am gullible.

did you really tell her you were trafficking drugs? regardless, funny!

also. sweet photo of the stars!! makes you feel so tiny.

Robb said...

beautiful!

your border crossing reminds me of when i was trying to get into england. the immigration agent who was helping me wasn't satisfied with my itinerary and reservations of where i was going/staying. he demanded proof via receipts and all, which of course i didn't have.

then he asked how much money i had. when i told him i didn't have any cash on me, he got really upset and couldn't believe that a person wouldn't carry cash with them. i told him i was going to get money at an atm since my bank card didn't have any fees, and he was really disappointed. i swear he was looking for a bribe!

after a few more minutes of hassling, he finally let me through, and i found andrew on the other side of the big wall. andrew was so worried that i had taken so long and thought that they had taken me into custody or something...

Ryan said...

That's funny. I never heard that story. I think border crossing agents get tired of doing the same thing all day so they decide to have a little fun every once in awhile by hassling people. I know I would!