Day 21: Portland, Maine

***Again, this post will be much better later when we get the pictures (see day 20)***

I guess I never realized how much history Boston told about the making of the USA. Yeah, everyone’s heard about the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea party, and the battle of Bunker Hill (all part of our departure from the British Empire toward independence), but it didn’t really come together until I walked around Boston to see it all for myself. Mark and I were able to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston and see where it all went down. The history we learned along the way was invaluable to me and I soaked up every bit of knowledge like a sponge. We also visited the campuses of MIT and Harvard both of which I have always wanted to see.

Around 4pm we headed up to Portland, Maine for the evening to visit friend of Mark’s and enjoy a lobster dinner. Who doesn’t get Lobster while in Maine???

--Red

What do Spain and New England have in common?  Well not much for anyone else but me, I guess.  I met our host, Adrian, in a Barcelona hostel last year.  Our travel plans coincided so that we were able to meet up again in Madrid.  A friend from his hometown in Puerto Rico and her husband both live in Madrid.  They invited him and I to join them on drive down to Grenada for an amazing visit to La Alhambra.  Adrian offered to have me stay at his place if I were ever to visit Boston, and I took him up on his offer!
Sierra and I met last October in Valencia, Spain.  We both were couchsurfing with a house of med students in the city.  She and her friend had just come from France working for a program called WWOOF (WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms).  Red and I met up with Sierra in her hometown of Portland, Maine for our first-ever lobster dinner!

-Brown

No comments: